It’s been an unwritten rule for many years to keep our phones plugged all night while we sleep. This “best practice” ensures that our devices are fully charged to last throughout the day until nighttime.
Regrettably, we have been approaching this matter wrongly. According to experts, charging your phone at night is one of the many unhealthy habits you must ditch urgently. Let’s discover the reason behind this recommendation!
<iframe width=”100%” height=”100%” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”true” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/03hNRP_SxPo?rel=0″></iframe>
The simple reason experts have given for this advice is that charging smartphones overnight may result in an electrical short. Also known as a circuit short, an electrical short happens when electric currents change their usual pathways and flow through unintended circuits instead. This accidental path attracts electricity because it’s typically short and carries the least resistance.
A short circuit could occur due to various factors, including loose electrical box connections, water, pets, damaged appliances, and lots more. Sadly, overcharging a device, leading to power surges or buildup, also contributes to this pressing issue.
Since short circuits have their average resistance significantly reduced, they need more power to maintain the usual voltage. Unfortunately, the power surge can form electric arcs (a situation where currents “jump” across a gap in an electric circuit instead of flowing through it).
Electric arcs run at very high temperatures. As such, they produce sparks that can melt plastics and make flammable materials like fabric, wood, etc., to catch fire.
Worse still, many who charge their phones overnight place them very close to our bedding, and Jr. Brig. Andrzej Bartkowiak, the head of the Wielkopolska firefighters, says that is not a thoughtful or safe thing to do.
As phones overcharge throughout the night, the possibility of developing a short circuit, resulting in a fire outbreak, becomes higher. What is even more is that this risk increases when the devices are covered in blankets or other pieces of fabric because they’ll cause heat to build up faster.
More than just phones, however, Bartkowiak reveals that the same applies to other home appliances, such as coffee makers and electric kettles. Bartkowiak further explained that a short circuit can occur when we plug these appliances overnight while we sleep or when we leave our homes.
As you have already guessed, this also increases the chances of a fire outbreak, particularly when the appliances are placed on flammable materials like wooden countertops.
When dealing with these devices, it is crucial to remember that plugging too many in an outlet can overwhelm it and overheat the installation. Apart from damaging the outlets and wirings, they can pose a significant risk of electric fires and electrocution.
In summary, your device’s safety is paramount. Hence, we suggest that you exercise caution when handling your gadgets. For enhanced device protection, consider plugging them in during the day and unplugging them once fully charged. Also, be mindful of the limitations of sockets in the home, as overloading them with too many devices can lead to severe consequences.
Are there other safety tips you’d like us to know about? Feel free to share them with us!